Attendance Office Calls
When a student is absent from school, a guardian must call the Attendance Office before 10:00 AM on the day(s) the student is absent (424-4090 ext 4). When calling, the parent should identify themselves, the student, and the nature of the absence. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call our office at 424-4090 ext 4. If no call is made, the absence will be assumed to be unexcused. The following list is excusable reasons for an absence at Oshkosh West High School:
- An illness in the family, which requires the absence of the student because of family responsibilities
- Medical, dental, chiropractic, optometric or other valid professional appointments. (Parents or guardians are requested to make their appointments during non-school hours.) Students called in for appointments will be excused for two class periods only, unless you inform the attendance office that it will take longer
- A death in the family or funerals
- Religious holidays
- Family trips (Parents/guardians are required to notify the school attendance office. Students need to complete a pre-arranged absence form prior to the absence.)
- Court appearances
- Appointment for driver license exam
NOTE: Unexcused absences should be cleared within 48 hours of the absence. When a student is marked absent from a class, they will receive a "clear up slip." Students can take the slip to the appropriate teacher and return it to Student Services before 11:00am.
Appointments/leaving building options:
Send note with student - should be brought to Student Services before appointment to get a pass.
Call in advance - If leaving voicemail, please let us know student’s name, reason for leaving and from which door you will pick student up. Call (920) 424-4090 x4 or (920) 424-4070.
Email - you are welcome to email us for excused absences. Please email Amy.Phillips@oshkosh.k12.wi.us or Trinton.Gess@oshkosh.k12.wi.us. Note - we are often busy on phones or helping students, so if it’s a last minute request, a call is probably the best option. We check voicemails often.
Student Services will write a pass for the student to leave and will have it delivered to the student during one of the classes before the time they are to leave. Students can leave out of Door 38 (in front by flagpole) or Door 24 (gym doors) ONLY, please let us know which door to mark on the pass. The student must sign out on the Chromebook at the specified door and can leave the building.
If your student is returning from an appointment, or arriving late, they MUST sign in at either door on the Chromebook so we can update attendance. They can return through either Door 24 and Door 38.
If there is an appointment that comes up with short notice, please let us know ASAP, it sometimes takes a bit to locate students and get them a pass to leave.