Attendance Procedures & FAQs
At Oshkosh West High School, we place great importance on good attendance, as it is essential for both the academic and social development of our students.
We understand that navigating the attendance policies and procedures can sometimes be confusing or even frustrating, which is why we have created this dedicated webpage to help clarify any questions or concerns you may have.
In the following sections, you will find answers to frequently asked questions regarding our school's attendance policies and procedures. We hope this resource provides the information you need to better understand the attendance process and its importance.
Please know that if you still have questions or need further assistance, we want to help! Our ultimate goal is to help you navigate attendance issues and do what we can to remove any barriers preventing your child from attending school. You can always reach out at (920) 424-4090.
- What are the laws and policies about school attendance?
- My child is going to be absent from school. What should I do?
- My child needs to leave school mid-day for an appointment or other reason. What should I do?
- We are going on vacation or have a multiple day pre-planned absence. What should I do?
- What is the policy about make-up work when my child misses school?
- I received an automated phone call or email stating that my child missed class unexcused. What should I do?
- I called my child in sick, but the absence is still unexcused. What’s going on?
- My child has a physical or mental health condition that is preventing them from coming to school. What should I do?
- What happens if my child exceeds their 10 days of allowable excused absences?
- When is my child considered habitually truant, and what are the truancy consequences?
- My child was put on an attendance contract with their administrator. Why did this happen and what does this mean?
- I would like my child to “go virtual” or learn from home for a period of time. Is this possible?
- I am struggling to get my child to come to school and I need support. What should I do?
- I would like to give my child a “mental health day.” Is this an excusable absence?
- What are the rules about tardiness to class?
- I noticed that my child’s tardies are green on the parent portal. Does that mean the tardies are excused?